This is one of my all time favourite breakfasts (or dinners in fact) and in my opinion tastes far nicer than any of the scrambled eggs I had before becoming vegan! It’s totally gluten free if you use gluten free bread too!
Mushroom Tofu Scramble
200g Organic Tofu (I use the Taifun Traditional).
3 tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast Flakes (I prefer the Marigold brand).
1 Chopped Onion (you can use red or white, but I prefer the slightly sweeter red).
150g Mushrooms (alter to your own tastes)
1 clove of Garlic – pressed.
2 tablespoons of Liquid Aminos (I use the Marigold one, available from Ocado and many health stores).
1 large tomato.
Slices of bread, to toast – as required.
1) To begin with, either squeeze or press out the excess water from your tofu.
2) Add a little olive oil, enough to cover the base of the frying pan, and warm to a medium heat.
3) Break tofu into small pieces (roughly, by hand is fine) and cook until it starts to brown. Add more oil as required, if it seems a bit dry.
4) Add in the nutritional yeast flakes, and stir into the tofu, so it coats everything.
5) Add the chopped onions, mushrooms and garlic. Cut the mushroom in two and fry on the side, in the same pan. Cook until the mushrooms and tomatoes are as tender as you like them. You can also cook the mushrooms and tomatoes completely separately if you prefer.
6) A couple of minutes before the end of cooking, add the aminos and mix. Wait until they are fully or mostly absorbed.
Serve onto warm toast, with the tomatoes on the side. You can season as you wish, or use extra aminos. I often find it’s flavourful enough without anything extra.
I found this wonderful comparison online earlier, to show the differences between scrambled egg and tofu scramble. If you’re in America, it’s always best to get organic tofu, as many others are GMO. I always buy organic here in the UK anyway!
I hope you enjoy this recipe – please let me know what you think.